I could have easily given myself New Years resolutions this year, but I found something that works for me and habits I’ve implemented every day.
I’ve been reflecting on last year and how I overcame obstacles that occurred in the previous year. One of the things that came to mind was self-love.
Last year I went through and experienced a lot mentally, physically and emotionally. I saw a change in myself and my personality. I had a lot of doubts and low self-esteem (although sometimes I project otherwise). I became really low during university last year and even towards the end of last year. I just had thoughts that would come and go. Being the over-thinker that I am is very unhealthy at times because I could just drift off into my thoughts, sometimes even in the mist of hanging out with friends.
Towards the last year of university, I became more to myself and most times alone. Preferred my own space and company. I drifted apart from some friends during university, which kind of set my mood back a bit. I just wasn’t prepared for it or for that kind of experience, it was more confusing. Not like primary school days where you have little disagreements like “I’m not your friend anymore” but 10 minutes later you’re friends again. It was awkward and strange because you’re older now and you actually have to come to terms with it. Lol.
How I dealt with/overcame it?
Through all of this, I managed to keep myself distracted by working out at the gym whilst at university and focusing on my final year projects/exams. Even though it was hard to concentrate at times, I got used to it and it became a distraction. It then hit me once I was graduating again that “wow. I can literally count everyone I call a “friend” on one hand.”
What did I learn?
I have to say from this experience I learnt that I cannot please everyone by doing what is expected or the norm. But I wanted to be open and free to do as I please (of course not upsetting anyone in the process). Not to mention, I did doubt myself and what I did to lose the friends I thought I had, but I realised that I actually gave everyone the same love that I would give to anyone, I take the word “friend” very seriously. I used to, try to please or make everyone happy, which can be counterproductive, because like I said you cannot please everyone.
How I’m going to embark on making a change?
This is why I have chosen to dedicate this year 2018, to myself and giving myself the love that I gave and lost. At least I think I owe it to myself.
- Meditate/Pray (I incorporate both)
- Read more books! (The People Factor by Van Moody is a good one, especially for relationships and friendships)
- Go on walks, Clear your mind
- Network meet new people (I’m loving attending workshops, especially when they’re about digital marketing or empowerment) download Meetups or Eventbrite
- Journalling (Five Minutes In The Morning, The Focus Journal) I got mine from Anthropologie thanks to Micah and Lizzie!
- Pamper Myself (Get my nails done/my hair)
- Treat Myself (with FOOD of course or a new piece of clothing or a book, whatever tickles your fancy) I take myself to eat as well and hang out with friends. This helps me to come out of my thoughts, be myself and appreciate the people I do have around me.
- Blog more, Post More, Shoot more! This gives me a boost of confidence and just makes me want to push myself to be the best version of myself. Putting out content is one of the things that make me happy and really gives me an outlet to showcase a talent or two.
- AFFIRMATIONS! I can’t stress this enough, it’s hard, I’m still learning myself tbh but you need to compliment yourself! I remember when I used to think a compliment should only come from someone else, but, that’s not true. You also need to give yourself credit and praise yourself for being you and what you have achieved.
- Travel/Explore – Hopefully to travel more and experience new cultures and invest time into the things I love!
Overall I would definitely have to say positivity and perseverance have helped me through the hardest of times I’ve faced. I believe in spreading and affirming positivity into your life as what you do put out into this world will manifest. So amongst all these things I’ve listed, LEARN to train yourself to be as POSITIVE as ever. Even when it’s hard. (Trust me I know, how hard this is) but once it becomes a habit you will appreciate it more.
I really hope this will help you, to conquer the year and start right! As these things have really helped me, I’ve implemented most of them (as you may have noticed), but my aim is to travel more!
I would honestly travel the world and just try new food all day long and review hotels for a living lol. Maybe someday…
Disclaimer: I’m just being real and honest about what I’ve felt and gone through, hopefully, this helps someone!
Let me know if you have any questions or anything, also send through any topics or content you would like to see soon. Drop them in the comments or email!
Coat – New Look
Bag – Zara
Knee High Boots – Select FashionTags: 2018, 2018 goals, Blog, Blogger, Fashion blogger, featured, Friendships, Goals, Life Experiences, New Look, OOTD, Outfit, Select Fashion, Self-Love, Shoreditch, Style, university, Winter coat, Zara